A stormy night in 1781 tore down half the church building of St Andrew’s in the Norfolk village of Little Cressingham. With little money available for repair, the church cut its’ losses by abandoning the tower and one third of the nave. A brick wall was built across, to reseal that which survived. Today almost half the church stands ruined while half remains intact. The rescued building is surprisingly light and airy, a kindly and gentle spirit seems to seep through the whole place and beyond. The grounds are edged on the ruined side by hazels, cut back hard. It would seem both Man and Nature proclaim the same message: pruning is prudent.
This print is pulled from an engraving cut from a sheet of rubber, a variation of letterpress. After removal of areas that are to be left as white paper, the rubber sheet is then rolled up with ink and pressed to paper, producing the print. The technique does not accommodate reprinting, so the edition is forever fixed at 5 copies.
This print will fit straight into a 10x12 inch frame.
oil based printing ink, Hahnemuhle etching paper 300gsm