This watercolor shows three of the main palaces facing the Grand Canal in Venice, in the Dorsoduro district.
The first palace on the left is a house on Rio della Fornace which was in the 18th century a very busy brickyard or fornace.
In the middle there is Palazzo Barbaro Wolkoff. The palace, originally built according to the Venetian-Byzantine architecture canons, was later restored by the addition of Gothic elements during the 15th century. In 1894 Eleonora Duse lived on the top floor of the building, hosted by Alexander Wolkoff Mouronzov, who had purchased the entire building.
The last palace on the right is Palazzo Dario (or Ca’ Dario).The palace was built in the floral Venetian Gothic style and was renovated with Renaissance-style. The palace was remodelled after 1486 by a follower of Pietro Lombardo for the patrician Giovanni Dario, Secretary to the Venetian Senate, diplomat, and merchant. A large project of renovation was undertaken at the end of the 19th century, when the palace belonged to the Countess de la Baume-Pluvinel, a French aristocrat and writer under the name of “Laurent Evrard”. She was pleased to surround herself with French and Venetian writers, one of whom — Henri de Régnier — is commemorated by an inscription on the garden wall.
Technique used: thin black felt pen drawing colored with watercolors on 300 gr. artistico Fabriano paper.
paper, marker pen, watercolor