This was produced from a photograph I took of an artichoke flower on a neighbour's allotment. I love the architectural quality of these plants, they're so striking. I'd been looking at the photo on and off for a couple of years and in summer 2014, I finally decided to tackle it! It was a very detailed piece to work on and involved a lot boiling out of the wax and reapplying then adding more colour. Really like this piece.
This has been posted under the 'painting' category only because there is not one for textile art. It is faux batik; hand painted using dyes and wax resist. In all it took me about 30 hours to make, 20 of those were spent hand stitching.
Indonesian Cotton, Procion Dyes, Embroidery Thread