Inspired by an impressive bronze sculpture that depicts a hooded and robed ghostly figure climbing out of the murky water, pulling itself onto the dock, it’s long fingered hands protruding from its cloak gripping a lantern in one hand and the other resting as the creature pulls itself ashore.
The statue is located near the Memel castle remains, close to the old port hotel, just past the swing bridge on the left the black ghost is a reminder of not only Lithuanian legend but of Klaipeda’s own folklore and history. The story goes that one evening in 1595 one of the Memel Castle guards, Hans von Heidi, while walking around the docks, saw a hooded ghostly figure. This “black ghost” asked him about the city’s supply of grain and timber and if the amount was sufficient? The guard replied that supplies were indeed enough, but the hooded ghost warned the guard that the stocks would soon be insufficient, and with that as quickly as he appeared, it vanished.