Watercolor and white gouache on watercolor paper
11.7 x 16.5 in.
Taṇhā is an important concept in Buddhism, referring to “thirst, desire, longing” (physical or mental), and is typically translated as “craving”. In the second of the Four Noble Truths, the Buddha identified taṇhā as the primary source of dukkha, which is suffering, pain and unsatisfactoriness.
There are three types of taṇhā.
Kama-taṇhā is the craving for excitement and pleasure in one’s bodily senses, and is symbolized in this artwork by the NightFaun. This antlered girl represents my hidden, primal and instinctual (and perhaps “darker”) aspects of my psyche.
Bhava-taṇhā is the craving to become something other than what you are right now, and is symbolized by the Antlered Penguin (whose name remains undecided at the moment). His existence revolves around trying to fit in and be “normal” like everyone else, to be anyone or anything other than himself.
Vibhava-taṇhā is the craving to rid oneself of something undesirable, such as unpleasant people and experiences in life. I’ve always been fascinated with the stars, believing that there’s another place out there away from all the suffering and pain of reality. This work depicts an idyllic escape into a world of stars and galaxies.
But ultimately, the space within one’s self can never be filled, and the cravings and dukkha continue to re-cycle until the end of time.
:: DETAILS ::
- This imaginative illustration is hand-drawn using watercolor and white gouache.
- The illustration will be shipped without the frame. You may choose how you would like it framed on your own.
- All original artworks are hand-signed on the front and back by myself, and comes with a certificate of authenticity that is also hand-signed.
:: SHIPPING INFORMATION ::
- This original illustration will ship out within 24-72 hours of payment.
- Illustration is rolled, wrapped in plastic sheet, and sent in a hard cardboard tube.
:: PLEASE NOTE ::
- Each illustration is described, photographed and depicted as accurately as possible. However, due to variations in individual PC monitor hues, it’s impossible for all pieces to look the same on every computer monitor.
- Should you require more photos of the artwork, get in touch with me and I’ll be happy to send you some.
:: COMMISSIONS ::
- Like what you see but it’s not exactly what you want?
- Chat with me at firstname.lastname@example.org to create something especially just for you or your loved ones.
- View more of my commissioned works at http://www.maryannloo.com/commissions
:: FOLLOW ME FOR LATEST UPDATES ::
Instagram & Twitter: @penguingirl_art
Copyright © 2017 MaryAnn Loo, PenguinGirl Art. All Rights Reserved.
Watercolor, White Gouache, Watercolor Paper