The artwork is part of a series that was originally displayed on a commercial size billboard in Bethnal Green in 2015.
ABOUT THE SERIES
East London’s rural past is now invisible throughout most of the borough and the Bethnal Green Nature Reserve site is a rare example of a place where it is still possible to have a sense of continued history.
Over four months in 2015 artist Tal Brosh has produced
an illustrated history of the BGNR in four incarnations: a medieval meadow and market garden, a Victorian church, a war-time bomb site and now an apothecary garden called Phytology. The works were displayed on a commercial size billboard on site.
ABOUT THE 1900 PRINT
In 1941, during the Second World War, St Jude’s church was bombed and totally destroyed. It is estimated that 80 tons of bombs fell on the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green alone and the East End was a scene of devastation, with large areas derelict and depopulated. War production was changed quickly to making prefabricated housing, and many were installed in the bombed areas. Today, 1950s and 1960s architecture dominates the housing estates surrounding the Phytology site.
Fabriano 5 smooth paper, screen print inks