Monarch of the Gallery  Mar 2016,
Landseer's Monarch of the Glen being admired by a stag beetle, the human interest is only perfunctory.
In 1850 Sir Edwin Landseer RA received a commission to paint three panels connected with the chase for the Refreshment Rooms of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminster. Once they were completed the House of Commons refused to grant the £150 promised. As a result, the paintings were sold to private collectors. ‘The Monarch of the Glen’, depicting a red deer stag was completed in 1851. It became famous and much reproduced. Most recently it was purchased by John Dewar & Sons distillery and became their trademark. The original is now part of the Diageo collection currently on display in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.