The slim and splendid five-storey red brick painting of Holland & Holland Gun Factory which was built in 1898 by Henry Holland, is taken from a recent collection of London cityscapes by the British artist James Cooper. The factory, which is located on Harrow Road in London stands proudly in isolation and continues to serve its purpose for the manufacture of the very finest craft-made guns. Built in the late eighteenth century where gas lighting was still in use, the painting captures the buildings tall windows and high ceilings with the intention of making maximum use of natural light with the engravers always favouring North light. More than one hundred years later there seems to have been little change other than new windows and a fresh coat of paint.
While machines were always used whenever possible, for example the drilling and honing of barrels, today Holland & Holland factory use the most modern equipment available to produce high quality components. However the precision still relies heavily on all the traditional gun making skills to achieve the very best. Barrels are hand-struck to a flawless and perfect form, actions and their components are filed and fitted with great precision and stocks are hand-shaped and immaculately chequered to the most elegant effect. Depending on the model, 650 to in excess of 1000 hours will be invested in the making of every single gun.
All paintings are offered framed using traditional Italian gesso moldings which are handmade and painted.