One of the most dreaded stretches of the Northumbria coast during that period was the North Sea off Holy Island where the shipwreck of vessels, particularly fishing yawls and trawlers, totalled a loss of 700 lives in one year alone.
One of the causes was a small headland jutting out from the island which had the same geological features as the adjacent Emmanuel Head; thus earning itself the name of the 'false Emmanuel Head'. The false Emmanuel Head was often mistaken by navigators as the entrance to the deep channel and safety of the island, only to be thrown onto the rock studded coast.
Therefore somewhen between 1801 and 1810 the Master and Brethren of the local Trinity House arranged for the building of a white brick pyramid, standing 35 feet high, on a small cliff barely 10 feet high, on Emmanuel Head at the north eastern point of Holy Island. It is suggested that perhaps this was the first daymark ever built on the shores of Britain and remains today as a testimony to its builders.
Digital print using pigment inks on Hahnemühle Baryta FB paper.