The history of the Castelli di Cannero
Built between the 1200’s and 1300’s, the two castles were inhabited by five brothers from the Mazzardi family from Ronco. Their nickname was “Mazzarditi" (or little Mazzardi). The difficult conditions of the dukedom of Milan at the end of the 14th century didn’t allow it to effectively control local tyrannies and the conflicts between the opposing factions of the Guelfi and the Ghibellini, who also lacerated the town of Cannobio.
By taking advantage of these discords, the Mazzarditi were able to maintain their power over the coast for several years by suffocating any opposition with blood. It was only with the coming of the power of the new Duke of Milan Filippo Maria Visconti that this reign of terror was brought to an end. The castello di Terrafiume (Terrafiume castle) was immediately conquered, as was the Town Hall, and the attack begun on the castello Malpaga (Malpaga castle), which surrendered in 1414 due to a lack of supplies; it was flattened to the ground on orders by the duke.
Limited edition print of an etching of the ruins of a Castle on an island in the Maggiore Lake.
Printed on Grafia printmaking paper.
The etching was made on a zinc plate. The plate than go's in different acid baths (aquaforte and aquatinta) and is than inked up by hand.
Due to the nature of the printmaking process, each print will be slightly different adding to the character of the print.
Different colours can be chosen to print it, from black to sepia and blue.
The etchings are rolled in plastic and posted in a sturdy tube.
- Exclusive to Artfinder
- Best Price Guaranteed