'Daredevil ' ("INTENSE FEMININE PRESENCE" series)
-original acrylic on canvas, signed and dated
-size: 36/48/1.5 in
-support: stretched canvas, black painted sides, ready to hang.
- colors: reds, orange, yellows, blue, white, black.
- multiple layers of paint, textured, mixed media.
- two coats of protective gloss varnish are applied to protect the painting from UV rays and dust. Back wired.
- painting is signed and dated by the artist as well as accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.
- shipped in a cardboard box.
- insurance paid by the artist.
I have a long-time interest in the concept of in-betweenness seen as process, as temporary state, or as space of angelic presence, for example - a space of continuous movement and constant communication, of excess of presence, where representation is constantly re-shaped, challenged. It is a space where things happen all the time - perhaps our inner space, private, safe for thought experimentation.
Lately I have become concerned with the notion of intense presence and the ways in which such a state alters the reality of those who experience it. It is a state we both want and fear: we want it because when we are the actors it allows us to occupy and command space and attract undivided attention, and we fear witnessing it because it automatically forces us in a position of weakness. Intense presence is an extraordinary event that is becoming, it seems to me, even more difficult to experience in an era of mediated communication.
My aesthetics reflects this vision of intense presence as event. My characters gain presence as the eye moves from a blank outside to a face that carries almost unbearable intensity.
canvas, acrylic paint, modeling paste