A vibrant, energetic and abstract depiction of the city I love. The intensity of color and emotion really shine through in this piece as they reflect all of the struggles and triumphs of making your way in the city, finding your own voice and making a mark. The city almost shoots up into the sky, atop colorful building blocks, threatening to never stop. It is a true reflection of the human condition in all of it's messy wonder.
Preston M. Smith (PMS) has been commissioned to paint 12 paintings of President Barack Obama for the Inaugural Purple Ball in Washington D.C. (2009) and these paintings now are in the collections of Ed Harris, Ashley Judd, Patricia Arquette, Amy Brenneman, Josh Lucas, Il Divo, and more. He has also shown his work alongside David Lynch at a benefit for the David Lynch Foundation where his live painting was auctioned and sold. Preston's work has been highlighted in Artist Portfolio Magazine for the issue and competition "NY vs. LA" where he was one of only 10 Los Angeles artists to be selected. He auctioned off two of his paintings at the Magic Castle for the Bring Hollywood Home Foundation and recently showcased his work at a prominent group exhibition at the AD Gallery and at the BG Gallery in Bergamot Station. Preston is currently taking part in the 30th annual "Laluzapalooza" at the world famous La Luz De Jesus Gallery in Hollywood and haleARTS in Santa Monica in April.
Articles and Publications:
- "NY vs. LA" - Artist Portfolio Magazine
- Preston M. Smith "Exclusive Interview" - The White List
- "Paintings With the Influence of the American Landscape: Preston M. Smith" - The Wall Breakers
- PMS Artwork highlight "Day 227" Art Blog Daily
- “Get a Hold of ‘Ground Control’ at Subspace” - Culver City Patch
- "Painting the President, Over and Over" - The Idaho Mountain Express
Oil on wood panel