Original artwork mounted and ready for framing -
Chepstow Castle is located in Chepstow, Monmouthshire, on top of cliffs overlooking the River Wye. It is the oldest surviving post-Roman stone fortification in Britain. Its construction was begun under the instruction of the Norman Lord William FitzOsbern, soon made Earl of Hereford, from 1067, and it was the southernmost of a chain of castles built along the English - Welsh border of the time.
Chepstow Castle is situated on a narrow ridge between the limestone river cliff and a valley, known locally as the Dell, on its landward side. Its full extent is best appreciated from the opposite bank of the River Wye
The precipitous limestone cliffs beside the river afforded an excellent defensive location. Building work started under William FitzOsbern in 1067 or shortly afterwards. The Great Tower was probably completed by about 1090, possibly intended as a show of strength by King William in dealing with the Welsh king Rhys ap Tewdwr.It was constructed in stone from the first (as opposed to wood, like most others built at this time), marking its importance as a stronghold on the border between England and Wales. Although much of the stone seems to have been quarried locally, there is also evidence that some of the blocks were re-used from the Roman ruins at Caerwent, four miles away.
Watercolour and Goache